School Opal card
The School Opal card: the smarter way to get to school
The School Opal card is for eligible school students and provides free travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses and ferries within the Opal network.
Who can apply? Students who live a certain distance from their school, as shown below:
- Years K-2: no minimum distance.
- Years 3-6: 1.6km straight line distance or 2.3km walking or further.
- Years 7-12: 2.0km straight line distance or 2.9km walking or further.
How to apply
- Complete the School Opal card application form here https://apps.transport.nsw.gov.au/ssts
- Print, sign and date the completed form and submit it to your school for endorsement
- Your school sends the endorsed application to Transport for NSW. Once approved, the School Opal card will be sent to the home address you provided in the application
The School Opal card is only for travel to and from school on school days and doesn’t cover travel to after school care, school excursions, sport and other activities away from school, so it’s a good idea to get a Child/Youth Opal card for personal travel.
Applications must be made by a parent or legal guardian if you are less than 16 years of age. If you are 16 years or older you need to complete and sign the application form yourself. Applications are subject to eligibility criteria. For full details visit https://apps.transport.nsw.gov.au/ssts.